International Students

Horizon Aviation can enroll international students for flight training.

International flight students from over 60 countries have learned to fly at Horizon Aviation. We can assist you with obtaining the government approvals that will allow you to travel to, and live in the United States while training to become pilot. 

How To Begin Flight Training in the United States

Any non-US citizen, considered an international flight student, that would like to receive flight training in the United States must obtain two forms of approval from the US government before they begin their training: an appropriate Visa, and clearance with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA.)

The Basic Process:

  1. Contact Horizon Aviation and let us know that you would like to conduct your flight training with us. 
  2. Apply for a student visa. When you contact us we will request specific information and send you an I-20 form that you may use to apply for an M-1 visa at the United States Embassy or Consulate located in your country. 
  3. Register with the TSA if you are studying for your Private Pilot License, Instrument Rating, or Multi-Engine Pilot License. You may register with the TSA on their website. The process may be started while you are overseas or after you arrive in the US. The cost is $130. As part of the process you will be fingerprinted. Currently there are international fingerprinting services in:
    1. FSI and TAM Linhas, Sao Paolo, Brazil
    2. FSI Canada Limited, Dorval Quebec, Canada
    3. FSA SARL, Le Bourget, France
    4. Saudi Aramco, Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    5. Emirates-CAE, SimuFlite, Dubai, UAE
    6. FSI, Farnborough Hampshire, United Kingdom

Be aware that it can take two-three weeks for TSA approval in the US. It may be faster to be fingerprinted overseas before you arrive in the US.

Important: the requirements for the M-1 visa are very specific. Before you are granted the M-1 Visa, you will be required to prove proficiency in English and your ability to pay for tuition and living expenses . You must contact your local US Embassy or Consulate for more information.

Horizon Aviation does not provide on-campus housing or transportation. International flight students are responsible for acquiring suitable housing and a means of transportation for the duration of their stay in the United States.

Download our complete M1 Visa Application Guide

Download Our TSA Approval Guide


Warwick, RI:  401-736-5115

Norwood, MA: 781-762-7600

You can fly. We can teach you.